Volunteer Role Title: Exercise Class volunteer
“It always seems impossible until it’s done!”
Merton Vision is seeking dedicated volunteers to assist and lead on our weekly exercise sessions. Your time and generosity would not just mean the world to us, but also to many of our blind and partially sighted clients who are often left lonely and socially isolated. Your precious time will help to ultimately lift their spirits being active in a supporting environment. Through exercise you will empower our clients to live a healthy and active life, teaching them techniques and exercises they can use in everyday scenarios.
What will I be doing?
• Assist the exercise tutor with the general running of the class
• Sometimes organise and lead gentle group exercise sessions, possibly including chair-based exercise, for our blind and partially sighted clients.
• To run classes to enable group members to maintain/increase their fitness and general well-being.
• To be able to alter sessions based upon the health needs of those who attend.
• Create a fun, welcoming atmosphere
• Offer a warm welcome to people from various backgrounds and communities
• Keep track of attendance figures by completing a register for each session, and reporting to Merton Vision staff at the end of the month.
• Excellent people skills
• Exercise related qualifications desired but not essential
• Compassionate, patient, caring, non-judgmental, and able to put others at ease
• Follow our policies and procedures, attend relevant training sessions, and maintain appropriate boundaries
• Flexible, reliable, and punctual
• Able to provide non-judgemental support
• To enable group members to maintain or increase their mobility.
• To enable group members to maintain or increase general wellbeing.
• To improve people’s health.
• To create a harmonious group of members working together to improve their fitness levels.
• Sense of achievement and fulfilment
• Apply or develop your existing skills and experiences
• Connect with others and enjoy our volunteer social activities
• Support the local community of Merton
• Enhance your CV or UCAS application
• Enjoy the feeling of making a difference to someone’s life
• Be a part of something special
• Through volunteering increase the chances of employment if desired
• Learn and teach a new skill
• Get fit
• Gain a reward for 100 hours’ service, and yearly service, with a voucher scheme
• Yearly Thank You Party.
• Regular communication with volunteering service manager who will deal with any queries and concerns
• You will have the information, training, and resources you need to conduct your volunteer role
• This role is open to anyone aged 18 years old and over
• 2 to 3 hours Per Week.
• Reasonable volunteer travel expenses will be reimbursed.
• Due to the nature of these roles, two satisfactory references are required.
To apply contact, us on:
020 8540 5446