Volunteers at MertonVision
MertonVision could not operate as effectively as it does without the help of much valued volunteers.
Most requests are for our Home visiting Service. Service users requesting a volunteer are visited by the volunteer co-ordinator to ascertain what type of assistance is wanted or needed. This ranges from:-
Purely companionship, to break the cycle of isolation, anxiety & depression.
Reducing stress by reading personal correspondence, help with paying bills, online shopping/banking.
Restoring confidence by escorting out on shopping trips to local stores.
Increasing enjoyment, social interaction and well-being by escorting out on local walks, visits to places of interest.
You can make a request for a volunteer by contacting Carmel Sammons. (The Volunteer Co-ordinator). Who will visit you to discuss your needs. As soon as a suitably matched volunteer becomes available, you will be introduced to them at a mutually convenient time.
There are three main areas in which volunteers can help.
Service users requesting a volunteer are visited by the volunteer co-ordinator to ascertain what type of assistance is wanted or needed. This ranges from:-
- Purely companionship, to break the cycle of isolation, anxiety & depression.
- Reading personal correspondence, help with paying bills, online shopping/banking
- Escorting out on shopping trips to local stores.
- Escorting out on local walks, visits to places of interest.
- Assisting the Chef, helping to prepare food, peeling chopping etc.
- Setting tables, table cloths, serviettes, cutlery.
- Serving food and drinks.
- Clearing away, washing up,
- Assisting qualified instructor to facilitate exercise moves with clients.
- Safeguarding clients using exercise equipment.
- Setting up and putting away equipment.
- Meeting & greeting service users as they arrive.
- Making Teas/coffees and serving up biscuits.
- Chatting /conversing with service users.
- Washing up afterwards.
Art & Crafts
- Assisting qualified Tutor to fetch and distribute equipment.
- Keeping clients folders in order
- Washing and putting away equipment.
Occasional/ Social Events
- One –off visits escorting people to Hospital appointments, shopping trips for specific items, helping people fill in forms online.
- One to one escorts on Day trips by mini bus to various locations.
- Helping to organise & run Social and Fundraising Events.
Other Opportunities Include
Driving, Gardening, assisting staff with office skills, and Fundraising.
We give a strong commitment to our volunteers endeavouring to use their abilities in the most effective way possible. MertonVision take seriously the time & commitment the volunteers give to the areas they are working within. MertonVision have procedures set up to ensure there is opportunity for feedback, discussion, support, and involvement from the volunteers.
All volunteers are interviewed; DBS checked and asked to provide the names & addresses of two referees. All volunteers are given awareness & sighted guiding training and receive a certificate.
Volunteers are routinely rewarded for 100 hours service, and yearly service, with a voucher scheme. Every year MertonVision organise a big “Thank You Party” for all our volunteers.