Centre Based Activities Volunteer – Role Description
About MertonVision (MV) Association for the Blind
MertonVision was formed in 1965 at the same time the Borough of Merton was created. Before this Surrey Voluntary Association for the Blind had been the sole service provider in the area. We have worked closely with our local Social Services Department since our conception.
We strive to deliver the highest possible quality services to the blind and partially sighted in Merton. Our goal Is to support and empower the visually impaired all the way from their diagnosis through the entire rehabilitative process in whatever way is appropriate for them.
Activities Volunteer Role
Our activities roles will all be based at The Guardian Centre, Colliers Wood. Your role will play a vital part in supporting the day to day running of the Centre by providing befriending support and assistance to those attending our activities. These activities include assisting with the lunch club, set up and facilitation of daily activities, providing hot drinks/refreshments, chatting with service users, providing a listening ear, and reducing isolation through befriending and social contact. Overall, you will be supporting MV to deliver it’s aims and objectives.
Volunteers can offer support in the following ways
- Tuesday Coffee Morning Support: 10.30am – 1:00pm. Helping to facilitate the coffee morning, making hot drinks/refreshments, chatting to service users, befriending, and providing social interaction.
- Thursday Lunch Club Kitchen support 10:30 – 12.30pm.
Help with kitchen duties including food preparation, cooking, washing up, keeping the kitchen clean,
- Thursday Lunch Club service support: 30am – 2.30pm. Help with serving food and drinks to service users, bringing lunches to tables, responding to any requests for assistance with meals, drinks, cutlery, diet requests, chatting to service users, befriending, and providing social interaction.
- Centre Support: Tbc we would love you to help us set up and run new events at the Centre: this can be an activity of your choice and it could be your own project.
- A kitchen clean up: Flexible one afternoon a week approx. 2 hours to deep clean the kitchen