Occasional Shopping Volunteer
Going to a supermarket seems really simple, but this could really make a difference to an older person who can no longer leave the home or for a resident whose family can’t visit often.
Some of our blind and partially sighted clients are either homebound or unable to go out independently and depending on circumstances can be left without crucial necessities.
As an Occasional Shopper, your duties would include:
• Getting a list of items required from MertonVision or the client
• Going out to shop
• Taking the items to the client’s home
• Handling money.
What skills and qualities will I need?
• Organised, reliable, and punctual
• Good communication skills
• Basic numeracy
• Able to take instruction and direction
• Mindful of infection control and good hygiene at all times
• An understanding of the needs of older people
• Trustworthy and honest
• Enjoy working with older people
• It would be beneficial if you were a driver with access to a car, but this isn’t necessary (keep to necessary government guidelines, social distancing if you are using public transport or walking).
Regular communication with volunteering service manager who will deal with any queries and concerns.
You will have the information, training, and resources you need to conduct your volunteer role.
This role is open to anyone aged 18 years old and over.
We will reimburse you for reasonable out-of-pocket travel expenses.
Due to the nature of this role, 2 satisfactory reference checks will be needed, as well as a DBS disclosure.
To apply or for further information please contact us on:
020 8540 5446